Why do I need to provide references and proof of address?

By conducting a credit check through a professional tenant referencing service, Stella Lange LLP can prove to the landlord that your income/financial situation is adequate to meet your rental obligations. The referencing company will contact your employers/accountants and your current/ previous landlord. The referencing company or Stella Lange LLP, if you reside in the UK, may also ask you to provide proof of address by showing a current utility bill, council tax bill or bank statement.

What is 'Right to Rent'?

Right to Rent is part of The Immigration Act 2014 and came into force on 1st February 2016. The Immigration Act 2014 places restrictions on illegal immigrants accessing rented accommodation. It is a requirement for all landlords/agents of private rental accommodation in England & Wales to determine whether occupiers have the right to live in the UK. This means that all prospective occupants aged 18 and over (including all live-in staff) must prove their immigration status and have it confirmed by the landlord/agent before a tenancy is granted. All tenants/occupants over the age of 18 years will be asked to visit our office where original documents must be shown and copies taken. If you cannot produce the correct documents then you will not be able to rent a property. Please be aware you may be reported to the Home Office.

Who holds my deposit?

Stella Lange LLP will advise you when the terms of the letting are agreed, this will also be stated in the tenancy agreement. If the tenancy is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) the most common form of tenancy in England and Wales, then tenants deposit will be subject to the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme (TDPS). This is a government approved scheme that requires by law that the tenants deposit is protected by either an insurance based scheme or a custodial scheme. The landlord or letting agent can hold the deposit and register it with an insured scheme or pass it on to a custodial scheme to hold. If Stella Lange LLP is asked to hold the deposit, it will be registered with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS). The deposit will be covered by the Client Money Protection Scheme – NFoPP reference number C0008227, which is an insurance scheme that covers any money handled by the letting agent.

Who can be a guarantor?

Anyone can be a tenant’s guarantor provided they can satisfy the referencing criteria as set out above. Your guarantor will need to sign the tenancy agreement and will be legally bound by all terms contained therein.

Can I have pets?

Some landlords will be happy to accept pets, however due to the new government legislation, you may be asked to pay a larger monthly rental. Block Managing Agents may also need to give permission for a pet, but this can be revoked at any stage if the pet becomes a nuisance.


Who do I pay the rent to and by what method?

The tenant will be advised by Stella Lange LLP if the rent is paid directly to the landlord or collected by us. The appropriate bank details will be supplied on the Tenancy Agreement, along with the rental amount to be paid and when it is due, so that a standing order mandate can be set up with your bank.

What else do I pay for when I live in the property?

The utilities – the supply of gas, electricity and water, Council tax and Television licence are the responsibility of the tenants, along with the installation and the subscription for cable or satellite services including broadband internet and telephone. Garden maintenance (during and at the end of the tenancy), alarm system monitoring, and residents parking permit are all accountable to the tenant during the term of the tenancy. At the end of the tenancy, any damages as agreed in writing by both parties as detailed on the check out report can be charged.

Do I need insurance?

The landlord does not insure any of your personal belongings, so it is always wise to take out your own contents insurance which includes accidental damage and is widely available.

What happens if I have maintenance issues?

Tenants will be advised at the start of the tenancy if the landlord or Stella Lange LLP is managing the property. When a maintenance issue arises you should report this in writing to your landlord or Stella Lange LLP (depending who is managing your property), so the appropriate contractors or tradesmen can be contacted to visit the property to resolve the reported issue.

When do I get my deposit back?

We aim to return all deposits as soon as possible – but the speed at which this money is returned is intrinsically linked to how the property is handed back at the end of the tenancy i.e the more works required (cleaning, maintenance) the longer it may take to establish final costs etc.