What is an EPC?

All rental properties are required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), as of October 2008. The report details the energy efficiency and environmental impact of your property and is valid for 10 years. A copy must be made available to all prospective tenants. Your property cannot be marketed without this document. As of 1st April 2018 a property will not be able to be let if the EPC rating is below band E*

What is a landlord's gas safety check?

The Gas Safety Certificate is a report that is legally required to be carried out on all gas appliances in or at the property on an annual basis by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Your property cannot be rented without this document.

Do I have to have the property professionally cleaned?

It is always advisable to have your property professionally cleaned prior to the commencement of the tenancy and before the inventory clerk’s inspection. If you choose not to professionally clean your property and prefer to clean it yourself, your tenant has no obligation to have the property professionally cleaned when they leave.

Do I need an inventory?

We recommend the services of an independent inventory clerk to produce the inventory report, prior to the start of the tenancy after the professional clean has taken place. This report will list, in fine detail, all the fixtures, fittings, furniture and schedule of conditions including meter readings at the commencement of the tenancy. This report can then be used at the end of the tenancy to determine any damages. If there is no inventory report, it is unlikely that you will be awarded damages against the deposit.

Do I have to protect the tenant's deposit?

This will depend on the type of tenancy you are entering into. Typically, the tenants deposit is equal to 5 weeks rent. If the tenancy is an Assured Shorthand Tenancy (AST), by law, the tenants deposit will be subject to the government approved Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme (TDPS) and must be protected by either an insurance based scheme or a custodial scheme. The landlord or agent can hold the deposit or pass it on to a custodial scheme to hold. If your tenancy is not an AST, then you do not need to register the deposit.

What is 'Right to Rent'?

Right to Rent is part of The Immigration Act 2014 and came into force on 1st February 2016. The Immigration Act 2014 places restrictions on illegal immigrants accessing rented accommodation. It is a requirement for all landlords/agents of private rental accommodation in England & Wales to determine whether occupiers have the right to live in the UK. This means that all prospective occupants aged 18 and over (including all live-in staff) must prove their immigration status and have it confirmed by the landlord/agent before a tenancy is granted. Non compliance can incur penalties, which include unlimited fines and/or up to 5 years imprisonment.

Who manages the property?

This is totally up to you, the landlord. If you have time to deal with day to day problems the tenants may have, like a leaky washing machine or a broken down boiler, then you can manage the property yourself. If not, we offer a professional management service that takes care of your property and any reported problems.

Do I need consent to let my property?

If you have a leasehold property, then you must check your lease or contact the freeholder/block management and ask if your require their written permission for letting the property. If you have a mortgage on the property, you should contact the lender as their written consent may also be required under the terms of the mortgage. Please be aware that there may be costs involved in gaining consent.

Do I need to advise my insurance (consents & building) company?

Yes, it is advisable to contact your insurer and confirm tenants will be residing in your property, as by not informing them, your policy may be void.

Do I need to take references?

If you require references to be taken, the cost of the referencing is for the Landlord's account.